Crab & Prawn Cakes with Jalapeño Aioli
This year’s Christmas Recipe of the Month has been a big hit in our “BBQ Christmas Passion” class and we would love to share it with you.
These Crab & Prawn Cakes are a perfect dish for a relaxed Christmas menu, or anytime of the year, and use quintessential Australian Christmas ingredients & techniques such as fresh prawns, crab, ripe mangos, a BBQ and a little spice!
For those of you in Perth, I purchase frozen cooked crab meat produced in Shark Bay in 200g and 500g packets from Kailis in Leederville. You will pay a premium for it, but it is a wonderful product and worth the splurge at Christmas time. If you didn’t want to use the cooked crab, you could simply substitute it for the same quantity of fresh prawn.
Enjoy and Buon Appetito!
Prawn & Crab Cakes with Jalapeño Aioli
(Makes 24 x 4cm cakes)
1 tbsp mayonnaise
2 Jalapeño or serrano chilli, deseeded and finely chopped, or to taste
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tbsp chopped coriander (leaves & stalks)
1 egg (59g)
1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
1/3 cup breadcrumbs (dry or panko)
500g cooked crab meat (squeezed of any excess moisture), flaked/shredded into pieces
600g raw prawns, chopped
50g melted butter
20ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Lime wedges & coriander leaves, to serve
- Mix together mayonnaise, chilli, lime juice, coriander, egg, salt & pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Gently mix in crab, chopped prawn flesh and breadcrumbs until combined and able to hold its shape. If too moist, add a little more breadcrumb.
- Portion into heaped tablespoons, then form into 4cm cakes and place on a tray. Refrigerate until ready to cook to firm up.
- Heat BBQ flat plate to medium high heat. (OPTIONAL – Cut a piece of baking paper to size to fit on flatplate, ensuring that plate is free of any oils or fats.
- Mix together melted butter and oil. Brush tops of cakes with butter/oil and season with salt & pepper.
- Cook, butter side down for 3-4 minutes, until browned. Brush with butter/oil then flip over to cook other side for 3-4 minutes or until cakes are cooked through.
- Place cakes onto a serving plate and cover with alfoil while preparing plates. Serve with a drizzle of Jalapeño Aioli, coriander and lime wedges.
1 jalapeno, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/4 cup coriander, leaves and stalks chopped
1/4 cup (60g) mayonnaise
1/4 cup (80g) sour cream
1 tbsp (20ml) lime juice
- Process (or crush in a mortar & pestle with a pinch of salt) jalapeno, garlic and coriander leaves until combined.
- Stir through mayonnaise, sour cream, and lime juice and season with salt & pepper to taste.
1 large firm mango, peeled and diced into 1cm dice
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
3 tbsp coriander, leaves and stalks finely chopped
juice from 1 lime
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Serve immediately.
We hope you enjoy our recipes! Please don’t hesitate in letting us know how it went for you and should you have any questions about any of the steps or any of the recipes, please don’t hesitate in contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.