You can’t get any simpler than this easy pasta dish, with a “no-cook” pasta sauce. In the time that it takes you to cook your favourite pasta, your “bruschetta sauce” is ready. Fast food at its finest! Buon appetito!
500g penne pasta (or pasta of your choice)
5-6 ripe roma tomatoes, deseeded and chopped (or use 500g of ripe cherry tomatoes, halved)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
1 handful fresh basil leaves, roughly torn or shredded
4-5 tbsp good quality extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 tbsp freshly grated parmigiano (plus additional to serve)
Additional ingredients to finish (Optional)
100g goats cheese or fetta (crumbled)
Toasted pine nuts
Roasted eggplant or roasted capsicum, sliced
Semi-dried tomatoes, chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil (use 1L of water for every 100g of pasta). Cook pasta for the time recommended on the packet, usually about 10-15 minutes (depending on the pasta this will be about “al dente”) or continue to cook to your desired texture
- While the pasta is cooking, combine the chopped tomatoes, basil, chilli and garlic in a large serving bowl and toss with the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt & pepper.
- Once the pasta is cooked to how you’d like it, drain in a colander and add directly to the tomato mixture while hot.
- Toss through the parmigiano cheese, and any other “additional” ingredients.
- Drizzle with some additional extra virgin olive oil, and serve immediately with additional parmigiano cheese.
Perfect accompanied by with slices of crusty Italian sourdough bread and a side green salad!