Basil Oil for Pizza
(Makes about 1/2 cup)
An alternative to using fresh basil leaves to dress your completed pizzas, such as the classic “Margherita”, prepare some Basil Oil which you can spoon or drizzle over your just cooked pizzas.
1/2 cup packed basil leaves (about 30g leaves only)
80g (1/3 cup) Extra Virgin Olive oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
- Bring a pot of water to the boil. Place basil leaves into a strainer and drop into boiled water for 10 seconds.
- Remove strainer & basil and plunge immediately into a bowl of ice water.
- Drain blanched basil leaves and press with your hands to remove excess water. Spread leaves onto a clean tea towel, roll up and press to dry further.
- Place basil, salt and oil into Thermomix (TM – 1 min | SP10) or a food processor and blend until smooth. Scrape down sides and repeat if necessary.
- Check for seasoning and place into a small squeeze bottle or sealed container. Drizzle over pizza as required.
- Keep in fridge for up to 2 days, but bring to room temperature before using, Any unused amounts can be frozen.