Herbed Lemon & Garlic Butterflied Roast Chicken
Butterflying a chicken is a great way to easily add amazing flavour by to your roast by preparing a “compound (flavoured) butter” with any flavour of your choice and slathering it between the skin and flesh. It also reduced the cooking time by about 30%, so you can have a Roast Chicken Dinner prepared in about 60 minutes!! Enjoy!!
Check out our new video by visiting us on YouTube at –
1 x 2.0 kg free range chicken
6-10 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Zest from one lemon , finely chopped
Juice from one lemon
4 tbsp Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
1 tbsp fresh rosemary
1 tbsp fresh sage, coarsely chopped (OR any other herbs of your choice)
120g butter, diced (softened if not preparing in Thermomix)
sea salt & pepper
Extra Virgin Olive oil and salt & pepper, to coat chicken
To Butterfly Chicken
- Wash chicken, inside and out, then pat dry with paper towel.
- Place chicken breast-side down, with the legs towards you. Cut up along each side of the backbone & through ribs, with a pair of poultry scissors, to remove it.
- Open the chicken out and turn over. Flatten the breastbone with the heel of your hand so that the meat is all one thickness.
To prepare Herbed Lemon & Garlic Butter
- Chop garlic, lemon zest, parsley, rosemary & sage (TM: 5 sec | SP5). Scrape down sides of TM bowl. Add lemon juice, diced butter and salt & pepper and combine (TM: 15sec | SP6). For conventional method, simply combine all finely chopped ingredients into softened butter until all mixed together.
- Carefully use your fingers to separate skin from flesh of chicken, then press flavoured butter mixture under skin over entire butterflied chicken.
- Rub chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on rack in baking tray. Place some water in base of baking tray.
- Cook at 180C for 45-60 minutes, until a thermometer inserted into thickest part of breast reaches 80°C. If the chicken is browning too quickly, cover loosely with alfoil.
- Once cooked, remove from oven and cover with alfoil to rest.