Easy Prep Beef Hotpot
A number of years back I had the pleasure of presenting a series of recipes on Postcards WA for the WA Health Department’s “Go for 2 & 5” promotion of their “Healthy Food Fast” cookbook. This was one of the recipes that is one of the easiest & fastest winter warming one-pot dishes, with only 15 minutes of prep required to chop up some veggies and season up some meat. Nothing fancy, but a deliciously simple winter comfort dish! Enjoy!!
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 – 2 1/2 hours
1kg chunk or blade steak, cubed
2 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon smoked hot paprika (OPTIONAL)
3 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
3 teaspoons sea salt
400g can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
2 medium onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 sticks celery, sliced
2 large carrots, thickly sliced
1 turnip, cut into large chunks
3 medium potatoes cut into large chunks
1 cup red wine OR chicken or beef stock
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Toss meat, flour, paprika, pepper & salt in a plastic bag, tip into a heavy casserole dish.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Cut a round piece of baking paper to completely cover the ingredients and cover closely with a lid.
- Cook for 2 – 2 1/2 hours without lifting the lid. Check for any additional seasoning and tenderness, returning to oven if more cooking time is required.
- Serve with your favourite mash, steamed green vegetables and warm crusty bread.