Harissa Spiced Kataifi Prawns with Sriracha Aioli
Zest from one lemon, finely chopped
2 tbsp harissa paste (or substitute with 2 cloves garlic & 1 chilli finely chopped)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
20 prawns, peeled with tail intact and deveined
375g kataifi pastry*, at room temperature
60g ghee or melted butter
*Purchased from a Continental/Middle Eastern Grocery (I get mine from The Re Store or Kakulas Bros in Perth)
1 clove garlic, to taste
4 tbsp good-quality whole egg mayonnaise
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp Sriracha Chilli Sauce, or more to taste
- Crush the garlic in a mortar with a little salt, until as smooth as possible, or chop very finely.
- Mix in remaining ingredients until smooth and season with salt & pepper, to taste.
To prepare prawns
- Preheat oven to 220C (Fan Forced).
- Combine lemon zest, harissa paste, oil and salt & pepper in a mixing bowl. Add the prawns and gently combine. Leave to marinate while preparing kataifi pastry.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Over a large mixing bowl, unroll the kataifi pastry and use your fingers to gently loosen & separate the strands as best as possible.
- Drizzle over melted ghee or melted butter and use your hands to gently coat into the strands of kataifi.
- On a clean work surface, evenly divide coated strands into 20 long strips of about 2cm wide.
- Working with one prawn at a time, place a prawn at one end of the kataifi lengths. Roll pastry away from you while firmly wrapping around the prawn, leaving the tail uncovered. Place on prepared baking tray and complete wrapping remaining prawns. TIP: Can be prepared to this point, covered in plastic wrap and refrigerated, up to 4 hours prior to baking.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place on a serving platter and serve with Sriracha Aioli or simply squeeze lemon or lime juice over.
- Buon appetito!