Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls “In a Bowl”
This was the very first recipe we included in our first cookbook “Food for Friends”, as it has everything I love about Vietnamese food – light, fresh and full of flavour – and it’s super easy to prepare!
It started out as an entree, with the minced chicken wrapped in rice paper rolls, but in my class I found that clients liked the filling so much that I adapted the recipe to become a main meal, serving it with rice noodles instead of rice paper sheets.
We hope you’ll enjoy it!!
1 x 375g packet rice stick (dried rice noodles), 5mm or 10mm thickness
2 tbsp peanut oil
400 – 500g minced chicken
1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
1-2 red chilli, finely chopped (or to taste)
4 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
2 tbsp kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 large carrot, shredded or finely julienned
1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
1 handful bean sprouts
1/3 cup fresh mint, shredded
1/3 cup fresh coriander, leaves & stalks, chopped
1/2 cup crushed roasted peanuts
1 fresh red chilli, sliced for garnish
Coriander leaves for garnish
Vietnamese Dipping Sauce
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp white vinegar
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp sugar
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 red chilli, finely chopped
2 tbsp lime juice
- Prepare the Dipping Sauce by combining fish sauce, vinegar, water & sugar in a small saucepan and heat, while stirring, until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Mix in all other ingredients and set aside.
- In a large frypan or wok, sauce ginger and chilli in oil until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add mince chicken and saute until cooked. Season with sweet chilli sauce, kecap manis and fish sauce as required. (If you like you can prepare the mixture to this point and refrigerate until ready to use. Heat through to bring back the flavours before continuing with the recipe).
- Combine the above with carrot, cucumber, chopped mint, coriander and ½ peanuts, in a bowl and mix well
- In a large bowl, gently toss together the chicken mixture, softened rice noodles and been shoots.
- Divide into individual bowls, dress with the dipping sauce and garnish with the remaining peanuts, sliced chilli and coriander leaves,