Mexican Street Corn Salad (Esquites) with Jalapeño Aioli
From our Mexican Passion class, this is one of my all-time favourite salads and always a huge hit with family & friends whenever we make it up (they are always asking for the recipe)!
With its combination of smoky, sweet, tangy and spicy flavours, it is an absolute taste sensation! Perfect for your upcoming summer BBQ entertaining it is great served both warm or at room temperature and we hope that it will also become a favourite for your family & friends as well!
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp butter (or substitute with 1 tbsp additional extra virgin olive oil)
750 g fresh corn kernels (about 5 ears), or use frozen corn
3 spring onions, finely sliced
2 red chilli, finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves & stalks, finely chopped
juice from 2 limes
Sea salt & pepper, to taste
Chilli flakes, to taste
50g freshly shredded parmigiano or crumbled feta
- Heat oil & butter in a large heavy based frypan or wok over high heat. (If you haven’t got a large pan or wok, you can grill the corn in two separate batches or in two separate pans)
- Add corn kernels and toss to coat in oil & butter, then leave to brown & char on one side, without stirring, about 5 minutes (about 10 minutes if using frozen corn). Don’t be afraid of just leaving the corn in the pan as the moisture content in the corn won’t let it burn too quickly.
- Stir corn to repeat browning on second side, for about another 5 minutes until browned (about 8 minutes if using frozen corn).
- Stir through 1 finely chopped chilli and continue to cook for another 5 minutes until well browned & caramelised. The corn kernels will start to pop, so have a pot lid or something at hand to cover the pan/wok.
- Transfer to a large bowl and stir in spring onions, remaining chilli, coriander, lime juice and salt & pepper to taste.
- Either plate up individually, with a dollop of Jalapeno Aioli, or drizzle over salad. Serve sprinkled with cheese.
1 jalapeno, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/4 cup coriander, leaves and stalks chopped
1/4 cup (60g) mayonnaise
1/4 cup (80g) sour cream
1 tbsp (20ml) lime juice
- Process (or crush in a mortar & pestle with a pinch of salt) jalapeno, garlic and coriander leaves until combined.
- Stir through mayonnaise, sour cream, and lime juice and season with salt & pepper to taste.