Frozen Chocolate Parfait with Fresh Berries
This is a recipe from our “Delicious Journeys” cookbook that Thermomix in Australia have also featured as the Easter recipe in their Thermomix 2016 Calendar. (Both the Thermomix and Conventional recipes are included below)
It’s a great “make ahead” dessert that is perfect for Easter celebrations, or any celebrations for that matter!! You can make it up to one month beforehand, then bring it out of the freezer to serve topped with fresh berries and a Raspberry Coulis.
200g good quality dark or milk chocolate (46-70%)
1 egg yolk
80-100g caster sugar, to taste (the higher the cocoa content, the more sugar you may require)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp Grand Marnier (or liqueur of your choice)
300ml whipping cream
Conventional Method (Chocolate Parfait)
- Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl over simmering water until just melted and smooth.
- Whip cream until holding peaks. Set aside.
- Whisk egg yolk, eggs and sugar together until very thick and pale. Gently mix in melted chocolate, vanilla and Grand Marnier. Pour chocolate mixture into prepared whipped cream and gently fold in with a large metal spoon until evenly combined.
- Line a 1.5L loaf tin with plastic wrap. Pour mixture into the tin. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 8 hours until set.
- To serve, remove from freezer a couple of minutes before serving. Turn Parfait onto a serving platter and slice. Serve with macerated Summer Berries and Berry Coulis.
Thermomix Method (Chocolate Parfait)
- In a clean and dry TM bowl, insert BUTTERFLY and whipping cream and whip until firm: about 20-30 sec | SP4. Remove from bowl and set aside. Clean & dry TM bowl.
- Add chocolate, in pieces,, and melt 3 min | 50C | SP1. Scrape down sides and repeat for 1-2 min | 37C | SP1, until all chocolate is just melted.
- Insert BUTTERFLY, add egg yolks, eggs and sugar and whisk: 4 min | SP4. Script down bowl. Add vanilla and Grand Marnier and whisk to combine: 15 sec | SP3.
- Return whipped cream to TM and gently fold into chocolate mixture: 10 sec | REVERSE | SP4. Scrape sides and repeat: 10 sec | REVERSE | SP4, until uniform in colour.
- Continue from Conventional Recipe.
1-2 punnet fresh berries (strawberries (sliced) or blueberries or raspberries, or a mixture)
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp Grand Marnier
- Place all ingredients into a bowl and gently mix together. Let stand for 20-30 minutes.
(Makes about 1 cup)
200g fresh or frozen raspberries or strawberries
juice from ½ lemon
- Place all ingredients into a saucepan and cook over low heat until sugar has dissolve and berries have collapsed and turn to a “jammy” consistency.
- Place in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Place all ingredients into TM bowl and cook: 4 min | 90C | SP4, with MC in place.
- Puree for 10-20 sec by slowly going from SP1 to SP9. Let cool. Freeze in 80g quantities, if not required immediately.